The Traffic Bureau within the South Kingstown Police Department is responsible for managing traffic complaints throughout the town and with managing directed traffic enforcement to provide safe travel on our roadways. The Traffic unit oversees the following programs and responsibilities associated with traffic mitigation:
- Traffic Court (RITT) Arraignments
- Accident Reconstruction
- Special Event Traffic Control (Road Construction, Parades, Private and Town Details)
- Highway Safety Grant Management to include Speed Enforcement, DUI Enforcement, Seatbelt Enforcement, Child Safety Seat Enforcement, Distracted Driving, Pedestrian Crosswalk Enforcement, and Weight Enforcement efforts.
- Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee (BPAC)
- Variable Message boards (3) for data collection and education.
The Traffic Bureau coordinates directly with the Patrol Division, Prosecution Division, and the Detective Division to ensure safe travel in the community and to maintain the highest standard of public service to meet the needs of our community.
All special event traffic control requests can be sent via email to the Detail Officer.