Building Department & Zoning
The Building Department is still providing the following Services during the Covid 19 Crisis.
Permit Applications-Still being accepted via electronic submission via the ViewPoint Cloud on line permitting program. Access to ViewPoint Cloud is available via the Town web-site www.southkingstownri.com click on Building Department. Payments can also be made online.
Permit Inspections-Normal Inspection Schedule still in effect. Monday-Friday for Building. Electrical-Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Plumbing/Mechanical-Tuesday and Thursday. Inspections are scheduled by calling the office at 789-9331, ext. 1225. For homes and businesses that are occupied, inspections are being conducted through the use of photographs or face time only along with one on one communication with the contractor or applicants. We understand the difficulty but also want to make sure everyone is safe, so we will find a way to get these type of inspections done.
Zoning Board Applications-Can be sent in via email to Wayne Pimental at firstname.lastname@example.org Hardcopies must still be either mailed or dropped off by appointment by calling 789-9331, Ext. 1225. Payment must be mailed to Town Hall, attn.: Building Department.
Zoning Certificates-Still available via ViewPoint Cloud. Access via www.southkingstownri.com click on Building Department for access to the link. Payments can also be made online.
Complaints-Life Safety complaints are addressed immediately. Others will be addressed as staffing levels are brought back to normal levels.
Emails, Calls and General Information-We are available via email at the links on the Town website and calling the general Building Department phone number at 789-9331, Ext. 1225.
In Person Appointments-We recommend that all communication take place via telephone or email. In person appointments will be scheduled on a case by case basis by calling 789-9331, Ext. 1225.
Thank You for your patience during this time, but working together, we will get through this challenge.
A Temporary Use Permit can be issued to restaurants for outside service areas based on the Town Manager's and Governor's Executive Orders to temporarily expand their service areas due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Read on...
The mission of the Building Inspection and Zoning Department is to provide information and guidance to residents, realtors, contractors, and attorneys to assist in the navigation of the Town’s Building Codes and Zoning Ordinance.
The Zoning Board of Review is charged with hearing and considering the appeal of decisions made by the Planning Board, The Historic District Commission, and the Zoning Enforcement Officer; holds the authority to grant special use permits and variances from the Zoning Ordinance; and is committed to providing a fair and impartial hearing on all applications, in a timely manner.
The duties performed by the Building Inspection and Zoning Department include, but are not limited to:
- Enforce the Town’s Building Codes and Zoning Ordinance
- Enforce the Town’s codes and ordinances affecting health, safety, and welfare
- Process and issue permits for construction
- Provide necessary inspections for code compliance, and issue certificates of use and occupancy
- Review all applications to CRMC for compliance with the Zoning Ordinance
- Consult and advise property owners on the FEMA floodplain regulations
- Serve as Clerk of the Building Code Board of Appeals for variances from Building Codes
- Serve as Zoning Enforcement Officer and Clerk of the Zoning Board of Review:
- Process variance, special use permit, and Planning Board decision appeal applications
- Formulate advertisements and schedule hearings
- Process and record minutes and decisions in the land evidence records
- Investigate complaints, issue violation notices of noncompliance of regulations, and prosecute if necessary
- Research and issue zoning certificates when requested
- Responsible for the maintenance needs of Town Hall’s building and grounds
- Assists other departments with construction projects, research, and investigations
- The duties performed by the Zoning Board of Review include, but are not limited to:
- Hear and consider the appeal of decisions made by the Planning Board, The Historic District Commission, and the Zoning Enforcement Officer
- Have authority to grant variances from the Zoning Ordinance
- Have authority to grant special use permits
- 2019 Rhode Island Code Books Information
- Accessory Apt. Vs In-Laws
- Annual Calendar 2020 with Filing Deadlines
- Building Code Appeal Form (PDF)
- CRMC Assent
- Deed Restriction ACCESSORY APARTMENT-
- Deed Restriction ACCESSORY FAMILY DWELLING UNIT
- Energy Certificate
- FEMA updated Flood Map Seminar
- Requirements - Accessory Stuctures
- Requirements - Additions
- Requirements - Alterations
- Requirements - Commercial New, Addition or Renovation
- Requirements - Generators
- Requirements - New Dwellings
- Requirements - Pools and Hot Tubs
- Requirements-Demolition Permit
- Requirements-Inspections and COO
- Safe Well Water Fact Sheet
- Schedule of Fees
- Septic Records and Resources Flyer
- Zoning Board of Review Rules of Procedure
- Zoning Enforcement Officer/Building Officials Decision Appeal Form (PDF)
- 128 Project Certification Form