The South Kingstown Public Library provides free, convenient and equal access to print and non-print materials, services and technologies that support our community’s informational, educational, cultural and recreational needs.
- To treat all library users fairly and equally and serve as a forum for all points of view.
- To provide high demand/high interest materials in a variety of formats for persons of all ages.
- To serve as a center for free, timely and accurate information for all residents in their pursuit of job-related, educational and personal interests.
- To assist residents of all ages in the pursuit of life-long learning by offering a variety of programs and other enrichment opportunities.
- To strive to provide a welcoming library environment and maintain buildings that are clean, comfortable, safe, and accessible to the community.
The South Kingstown Public Library is a tax-supported public library serving the residents of South Kingstown. Complying with standards established by the Library of Rhode Island (LORI) and the American Library Association, the Library also provides service to other Rhode Island residents and visitors and to those residing outside of the state network.
Reference service is available during regular library hours. Staff responds to requests received in person, by telephone, in writing, and via e-mail.
Research and Referral Services
Every effort is made to assist with research, time and sufficient staff permitting.
Direct borrowing privileges are available to patrons holding valid Ocean State Libraries cards. The Library complies with Ocean State Libraries policies and procedures.
Statewide Network Services
With the exception of new DVDs, some young adult CDs and juvenile computer software, all circulating materials are available for borrowing through Ocean State Libraries HOLDS and through interlibrary loan, in compliance with LORI standards and the ALA Interlibrary Loan Code. Remote access to the Library’s holdings is made possible through the library’s membership in Ocean State Libraries.
Meeting rooms are available at both the Peace Dale and Kingston Free Libraries. Please contact individual libraries for rules and regulations that govern the use of the meeting rooms.
Materials can be reserved in person, by telephone, and online from within the Library or from a remote location using the Library’s website. Notification is by telephone, text message, e-mail or U. S. mail.
Displays and Exhibits
The Library makes exhibit space available as described in the South Kingstown Public Library Exhibit and Display Policy adopted by the Board of Trustees in December 1994. Exhibitors must insure or assume responsibility for items exhibited.
The Library offers a variety of educational and cultural programs for patrons of all ages. Library programs are free and open to the public.
Revised January 8, 2016.