School Building Committee
NOTICE! - THE DECEMBER 1ST SBC MEETING HAS BEEN MOVED TO DECEMBER 8, 2022. PLEASE SEE BELOW FOR ADDITIONAL DETAILS.
On August 9, 2022 the Town Council appointed a new School Building Committee (SBC), based on a request and recommendations from the School Committee, to undertake the planning and supervision of school facility improvements in accordance with Rhode Island Department of Education (RIDE) rules and regulations. This process is known as the Necessity of School Construction (NSC). If followed correctly, the NSC process may qualify the Town for substantial reimbursements from RIDE that would significantly reduce the cost of any proposed improvements. For additional information , view agendas and minutes for the School Building Committee, and sign up to receive a notifications when meetings are scheduled.
Meetings and Public Engagement
|TOPIC:||School Building Committee Regular Meeting|
|Date:||Thursday, December 8, 2022|
|TIME:||6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.|
|LOCATION:||Town Hall, Council Chambers, 180 High Street, Wakefield, RI|
|AGENDA:||Download the latest agenda by clicking HERE. Please note that agendas are typically posted 48 hours in advance of the meeting.|
|COMMENTS::||Standard SBC meeting. A presentation by Studio JAED is anticipated. The public is encouraged to attend.|
The SBC has created a master schedule of upcoming meetings and events to ensure necessary NSC dates are met and the community members can remain engaged in the process. You can download a PDF of the master schedule by clicking HERE.
Agendas, Minutes, and Live Stream
- If you are interested in an upcoming meeting we highly recommend you download the latest posted from the RI Secretary of State Open Government SBC Site.
- You can download minutes from the RI Secretary of State Open Government SBC Site or by going to the Town's School Building Committee Clerkbase Site.
- All meetings are live streamed and recorded on the SBC's YouTube Channel. Please note that public comment can only be provided in person.
Public Comment, Inquiries and Correspondence
- Members of the public are always welcome to attend meetings in person and provide comment at the appropriate time. Public comment is not allowed through virtual means.
- Questions, comments, and other inquiries can be sent to the committee via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Written communications can be addressed to: South Kingstown Town Hall, 2nd Floor, Attn: School Building Committee, 180 High Street, Wakefield, Rhode Island 02879.
- All e-mail, written, and other public is placed on the agenda at normal SBC meetings to ensure the committee is aware of community concerns and can discuss relevant topics.
- All communication will be formally accepted, and placed on file. Should the SBC decide to further direct staff, the projects OPM, or the project's consultant relative to the correspondence, they may do so at the meeting.
Membership of the School Building Committee must meet both Town Charter and Rhode Island Department of Education (RIDE) membership requirements in order to qualify for state reimbursements and bonuses. The Committee consists of nine (9) members as follows:
|Name||Title||RIDE or Charter Role|
|Lucas Murray, Chair||Director of Administrative Services||Charter: Appointed by the Town Council|
|Kate Macinanti, Vice Chair||School Committee Member||RIDE: Member of School Committee|
|Maintenance Director - School||RIDE: Local official responsible for building maintenance|
|James Manni||Town Manager||RIDE: Representative of the office or body authorized by law to construct school buildings in the municipality|
|Raquel Pellerin||Chief Financial Officer - School||RIDE: Local budget official or member of the local finance committee|
|Chip McGair||SKHS Principal (May rotate)||RIDE: School Principal from the subject school*|
|David Palazzetti||Community Member||RIDE: Community Member with architectural, engineering, and/or construction experience|
|Mark Prince||School Superintendent||RIDE: Superintendent of Schools|
|Vacant||N/A||RIDE: A member who has knowledge of the educational mission and function of the facility|
*This project may include more than one "subject school." The appointed principal will work to receive input from other principals on other project sites.