Saugatucket Veterans' Memorial Park Commission
- As needed
- 2nd Floor Conference Room
180 High Street
Wakefield, RI 02879
Staff assistance is provided by the Town Clerk
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Agendas and Minutes
Five members are appointed to 5-year terms:
- Thomas Browning
- Richard A. Pike
- Gloria Stewart
- Stephen Stewart
- James Tourgee
The Saugatucket Veterans’ Memorial Park Commission was re-established by the Town Council on June 23, 2014.
It is the intent of the Town Council that additional names of those residents who have given military service to their Country in time of war or conflict be added in a timely fashion to the Memorial located in the Saugatucket Veterans’ Memorial Park.
Membership is comprised of one representative from the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the American Legion, the Vietnam Veterans of America 325 and the VFW Ladies Auxiliary. In addition, there shall be one member appointed by the Town Council from among the Town’s residents.
The Commission’s work will encompass:
1. Periodically solicit for additional names of those residents who have given military service to their Country in time of war or conflict.
2. Qualify the names submitted for inscription on the memorial in accordance with the following criteria:
a. Submission of DD214 designating South Kingstown as the home of record at time of entry
b. DD214 designating Honorable Discharge, if discharged; and
c. DD214 designating time of service as being within the recognized time of war or conflict;
d. Should serviceperson still be enlisted, the following will be accepted in lieu of DD214:
1. A letter from his or her commanding officer on military stationery stating:
a. Date of enlistment
b. Home of Record, at time of entry into service, as South Kingstown; and
c. Service is and was honorable during time of war or conflict.
3. Submission to the Town Council of estimate for inscription of additional names and/or other site improvement, and to request budget appropriations for proposed improvements.