Right of Way Utility Permit

A Physical Utility Permit (PUP) is required prior to the installation or repair of any utility line in the Town Right-of-Way. Utilities include:
  • Cable
  • Electric
  • Gas
  • Sewer
  • Telephone
  • Water, etc.


The applicant needs the following prior to applying for a PUP:
  • A completed application signed by a South Kingstown Licensed Contractor
  • A site plan showing the location of the house and driveway on the lot, the Assessor's Plat and Lot numbers and the location of the proposed utility work
    • All Town trees and utility poles must also be identified if they are near the area to be disturbed
    • A tree permit and advisory opinion from the Town Tree Board may be required for any tree trimming or removal activities
  • Gas, sewer and water main extensions require an engineering plan and profile stamped by a Rhode Island licensed Professional Engineer. Contact the Town Engineer at 401-789-9331, ext. 2252 for design plan criteria
  • Payment of the $10 application fee
Applications should be submitted to the Public Services Building at 509 Commodore Perry Highway, Wakefield, Rhode Island. The Physical Utility Permit takes a minimum of 2 business days to process.

Pavement Restoration

Temporary Patches

When utility work involves digging in the paved surface, the Licensed Contractor must schedule an inspection of the Temporary Patch at least 48 hours prior to construction. Temporary patches must be in place and inspected no later than 3:30 p.m. on the date of excavation.

Permanent Patches

The Engineering Division will send a reminder notice to the Contractor regarding installation of a Permanent Patch. The Contractor must schedule an inspection of the Permanent Patch at least 48 hours prior to construction.

Please call the South Kingstown Engineering Division at 401-789-9331, ext. 2250 if your have any questions regarding the permitting process.